Wednesday, October 4, 2017

MPM1D1 - Day 21 Mowing the Lawn

Today's warm-up was an Estimation 180 problem. Students had to estimate what percent of the pie was missing as well as the angle formed by the missing piece.


There was a lot of good discussion. It was interesting to see most students talking about fractions first (half, a quarter, etc) then converting those fractions to percents mentally. The percent estimates were pretty good, the degrees were not as good.

The main event for today was Mowing the Lawn. We've done a lot of group work this semester (which has been great) but as we approach the test I want to ensure that students are able to think, work and communicate on their own. I want them to take on more responsibility for their learning. So I asked them to work through this one on their own at their desks. They got to work right away. There were a number of different approaches being used it was a busy period. There were some great conversations about different approaches. I was hoping they would all finish during the period (and many did) but we were interrupted by a fire drill. Those that finished started working on the review for the test. The rest will (hopefully) finish up for homework.

Our test is Friday and I feel that some students aren't going to be ready. I've had very few come to see me for extra help at lunch. In the past I've run some evening online tutorials but they have been mostly with senior students. I thought I'd give it a try with this group and see what the response is like. More details to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment