Thursday, November 9, 2017

MPM1D1 - Day 45 Exponents & Spreadsheet

Based on the results from yesterday's test my students need more practice with exponents. When they arrived I put them in groups and sent them up to the boards and I fired exponent questions at them. They worked while I walked around and questioned what they were doing. There was lots of great talk in some groups. A couple of groups had a hard time focusing.

After about 20 minutes of practice, we resumed work on Pumpkin Time-Bomb. When I gave this activity I purposefully gave them the entire spreadsheet of data. I wanted them to be able sift, sort and think about what data was useful. It was a bit of a frustrating experience but clearly they need more practice making sense of large data sets. They also need way more practice with spreadsheets. I told them that they should copy the relevant data to a spreadsheet so that they could clean it up. A few students asked what a spreadsheet was. Eeeek!

They worked their way through the activity. Many students finished their analysis as the bell went, a couple stayed to finish after the bell and the rest will have to get it done on their own time.

No comments:

Post a Comment